So I’m writing a research proposal for something important and I feel like a total hack because I haven’t studied the issue in academia and there are so many other people out there that are saying things so similar to what I want to say and study and I just can’t …. I don’t know how to write this thing anymore. I’ve been stuck on it for two months now. I swore I’d have it finished by the end of April. And every time I open the document I just stare at it and see what it is and what it could be and what it isn’t. Thing is, it’s just plugging in my citations now. It’s the second draft, not the final one. It shouldn’t be this hard.
Guess what? It’s the end of April. It’s still not done.
How can I improve my life when I’m so stuck on what I’m working on and failing at it because it’s one of the things that will help me the most and I’m effing terrified of what will happen if I don’t get this done the way it needs to be because I can’t live like this anymore?
So my ice skating lessons are going decently. I’ve started learning backwards crossovers. And I just … my brain doesn’t comprehend them yet. How are my feet supposed to work? Where do they go? How does it all work? My coach explained them, but my brain has just decided to go “no, not today.”
I’ve watched tutorials on YouTube, read about them, but they still lack sense. Does anyone have advice for practicing them?
Oh, let’s see. My life is …. meh. Really meh. So I sit and do not work on the stuff I need to be. No, I sit and read fanfic or dream about Saturday and my lovely ice skating lessons.
I should be:
~working on a massive project that has the possibility of changing my life
~working on my original stories
~working on my Avengers fic series that hasn’t had anything posted in ages, that I have the drafts written for and need to freaking revise, and I just go *poke, poke* at because of Item One and other reasons.
~exercising every day because of above mentioned ice skating lessons. I need to get my body back in order and out of its ‘you’re a former dancer, stand tall and straight’ and get into the ‘you’re a figure skater, bend your knees so you stop falling over!’
I’m forgetting stuff. I know I’m forgetting stuff. Anyone want to add things to my list?
Okay, we’ve all seen these before. Simply reblog and replace my answers with your own. We all get to talk about Tolkien (which is awesome), and we all get to learn a bit about each other (which is awesome.)
- First Tolkien Book: The Fellowship of the RingBut I didn’t finish it, or I did and forced myself to struggle through and can’t really remember much past the Council of Elrond.
- Age at First Reading: 10-11ish
- Who/What Introduced You?: Found it on the classroom bookshelf
- First Favorite Character: Frodo
- Currently Reading (By Tolkien): The Return of the King,maybe. As in, I finished it several months ago, but set it down to read other stuff and never got back to the Appendices.
- Fan of the Movies?: Yes, mostly. I have issues with some of the plot and character arc changes they made, but overall they’re a good adaptation.
- Plan to Read Next: Nothing Tolkien. My to-read list is way too long. But I’m really anticipating the Beowulf translation.
- Story: The Return of the King and The Silmarillion, for two very different and personal reasons.
- Race/Culture: Umm. The Dunedan.
- Male Character: Aragorn
- Female Character: Arwen, Eowyn, Luthien
- Romantic Relationship: Arwen/Aragorn, Lúthien/Beren
- Friendship: Pippin and Merry
- Location: Rivendell
- Battle: I could quote the entire passage of the black ships sailing and Aragorn’s banner breaking forth at the mast, but I won’t. :-)
- Song: Luthien. Just all of Luthien.
- Of the Trilogy: The Return of the King
- Member of the Fellowship: Aragorn
- Villain: Sauron, in all of his incarnations.
- Elf: Elrond, Maglor, Elladan and Elrohir
- Dwarf: Gimli
- Man/Woman: Aragorn, Eowyn
- Hobbit: Pippin
- Valar/Maiar: Nessa
- Other: The style of the language and how it hearkens back to Old English poetry
BOLD WHAT YOU’VE READ
The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King, The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, The Children of Hurin, The Histories of Middle Earth (volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), The Book of Lost Tales, Leaf by Niggle, Farmer Giles of Ham, On Fairy Stories, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, The Atlas of Middle EarthI tend to dabble in HoME, but haven’t really read anything cover to cover. It’s for research and marveling at the varied histories and concepts as Tolkien’s world developed.
So there was a fairly large con in my city this weekend. My friends and I did a group costume, and I was a lady Ninth Doctor. My friend L. was my TARDIS in a freaking awesome dress. We also had a Rose and a Donna.
So one of the best parts of the con wasn’t a really good Nine just nodding at me and saying “Doctor” regardless of me being a woman. It wasn’t people recognizing me as the Doctor even when it was just ‘Rose’ and I. It wasn’t the gorgeous Elsa print I bought. No. It was the “fight” a Ten and I got into about how Nine treated Rose, how Ten treated Rose, and how we treated the TARDIS. It was the conversation that went (slightly out of character):
Ten: You acted like a dick-
Me: I can’t be a dick. I have boobs!
Cue laughter from pretty much everyone standing around as the two of us tried and failed to stay in character. We re-grouped, continued our ‘argument’ with added input from my TARDIS and my Rose, and were subsequently interrupted by a Dalek.
The whole interaction made my entire day. :-D
I has a Frozen. :-)
So I was going to make cottage pie for work next week (I do large batch meals), but then I made a mistake. I went on the ‘French Toast’ tag. Because I wanted to, because I like looking at pictures of food and finding new recipes to attempt.
I think I just mind end up making French Toast instead.
Wooden ice skate with screw at heel to attach to boot, 1860s, from the collection of the Chemung Valley History Museum
Cate Blanchett wins the Oscars on more than one level
IT BROKE THE BILLION DOLLAR MARK ON THE SAME DAY THAT IT WON THE OSCAR
DON’T MIND ME THERE’S JUST A FUCKING BOULDER IN MY EYE
Congratulations for Frozen, Best Animated Feature at the 86th Academy Awards!
Page 1 of 36